Mr. Apostolos Ziakopoulos is a Civil Engineer, PhD Candidate and Researcher at the Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering at the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens. In 2013, he graduated from the School of Civil Engineering at the NTUA. In 2014, he received a Master of Science (MSc) from Imperial College London and University College London. In 2011, he worked as a researcher for the University of Sheffield in a project through the I.A.E.S.T.E. scheme. His PhD. research is on “Correlating road accident risk factors with safety countermeasures”. He has more than 5 years of experience in several aspects of transport safety and engineering.
- Traffic Engineering
- Transport Safety
- Accident Analysis
- Statistical and Econometric Methods
- Data Science
- Queuing Theory Applications
- Petri Networks
- Candidate for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), 2016 – ongoing, in the Department of Transportation, Planning and Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens. Topic: “Correlating road accident risk factors with safety countermeasures”
- Master of Science (MSc DIC) in Transport, 2013-2014: Interdisciplinary – Interdepartmental Program from Imperial College London and University College London (Graduating grade: Merit – B+).
- Diploma of Civil Engineering, 2007-2013, at the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (Graduating grade: 7.77/10.00, 5-year degree).
- Teaching Assistant in the graduate course “Traffic Management and Road Safety” of the 9th semester of the School of Civil Engineering of NTUA (2016 – ongoing)
- Supervising assistant in 2 Diploma Theses in the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (2017 – ongoing)
- Supervising assistant of MSc Students from the University of Florence (Università degli Studi di Firenze – UniFI) via the Erasmus programme (2017)
At the present time (March 2018) eleven (11) scientific papers have been published (or have been accepted for publication) in scientific journals or conference proceedings.
Publications in scientific journals with referees
- Theofilatos, A., Ziakopoulos, A., Papadimitriou, E., Yannis, G. (2018 – in press). “How many crashes are caused by driver interaction with passengers? A meta-analysis approach.” Journal of Safety Research.
- Anvari, B., Ziakopoulos, A., Morley, J., Pachakis, D., Angeloudis, P. (2018 – in press). “Comparison of fleet size determination models for horizontal transportation of shipping containers using automated straddle carriers.” Handbook of Terminal Planning, Second Edition, Book Chapter.
- Theofilatos, A., Ziakopoulos, A., Papadimitriou, E., Yannis, G., & Diamandouros, K. (2017). “Meta-analysis of the effect of road work zones on crash occurrence.” Accident Analysis & Prevention, 108, 1-8.
- Yannis G., Theofilatos. A., Ziakopoulos. A., Chaziris. A. (2014). “Investigation of road accident severity and likelihood in urban areas with real-time traffic data.” Traffic Engineering & Control, 55 (1), 31-35.
Publications in scientific conference proceedings (full papers with review)
- Theofilatos A., Ziakopoulos A., Yannis G. (2018). “Combining data mining techniques to investigate crash severity in urban motorways.” Expert Symposium of Accident Research (ESAR) conference, April 19-20, 2018, Hannover, Germany
- Ziakopoulos A., Botteghi G., Macaluso G., Theofilatos A., Papadimitriou E., Yannis G., Diamandouros K., Arampidou K. (2018). “Can light engineering measures make a difference? An overview of the effect of delineation and signage on road safety.” Proceedings of 7th Transport Research Arena TRA 2018, April 16-19, 2018, Vienna, Austria.
- Papadimitriou E., Machata K., Bauer R., Stadlbauer S., Soteropoulos A., Daniels S., Elvik R., Ziakopoulos A., Theofilatos A., Yannis G. (2018). “Safety effects of infrastructure road safety measures.” Proceedings of 7th Transport Research Arena TRA 2018, April 16-19, 2018, Vienna, Austria.
- Theofilatos A., Nieuwkamp R., Ziakopoulos A., Papadimitriou E., Yannis G. (2017). “Effectiveness of intelligent speed adaptation, collision warning and alcolock systems on driving behaviour and safety.” Smart Cities and Mobility as a Service, International Conference, Patras, Greece, 7-8 December, 2017.
- Ziakopoulos A., Theofilatos A., Papadimitriou E., Yannis G. (2017). “Driver distraction without presence of secondary tasks: Inattention, cognitive overload and factors outside the vehicle – a review.” Road Safety and Simulation International Conference (RSS), The Hague, 17-19 October 2017.
- Papadimitriou E., Filtness A., Theofilatos A., Ziakopoulos A., Yannis G. (2017). “Comparative assessment and ranking of infrastructure related crash risk factors.” Road Safety and Simulation International Conference (RSS), The Hague, 17-19 October 2017.
- Ziakopoulos A., Theofilatos A., Papadimitriou E., Yannis G., Aigner-Breuss E., Kaiser S. (2017). “An overview of risk factors related to driver distraction: Reviews and meta-analyses.” The 8th International Congress on Transportation Research (ICTR) 2017, Thessaloniki, 27-29 September 2017.
Conference presentations (abstract with review and poster/presentation)
- Theofilatos A., Ziakopoulos A., Yannis G. (2018). “Modelling the impact of traffic states on crash injury severity in urban motorways”, MCDA 2018 Conference, Piraeus, 15-17 February 2018.
- Ziakopoulos A., Theofilatos A., Papadimitriou E., Yannis G. (2017). “An assessment of the effectiveness of formal tools to address road network deficiencies.” The 6th IRTAD Conference, Marrakech, 10-12 October 2017.
- Ziakopoulos A., Theofilatos A., Papadimitriou E., Laiou A., Folla K., Pavlou D., Marinos C., Yannis G. (2017). “Monitoring road safety risk factors and measures – SafetyCube”, The Future of Road Safety Research Workshop, NTUA, Athens, 2017.
- Ziakopoulos A., “Venice container terminal straddle carrier number investigation using Queuing Theory and Petri Networks”, Master of Science (MSc) dissertation, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Imperial College London and University College London, September 2014.
- Ziakopoulos A., “Correlating traffic variables with accident injury severity and probability”, Diploma Thesis, Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering, School of Civil Engineering, NTUA, March 2013.
- Ziakopoulos A., “The impacts and solutions of urban road runoff on water and environmental quality”, Internship Thesis, Catchment Science Centre, Groundwater Protection and Restoration Group, University of Sheffield, August 2011.
Participation in three (3) research projects in the field of Transportation Planning and Engineering
- “SAFETYCUBE: Safety Causation, Benefits and Efficiency” of the Horizons 2020 framework programme on transport research of the European Commission (2016-ongoing). Activities: Scientific road safety study codification, Authoring of road safety risk factor and measure synopses, Cost-benefit assessments, Quality assurance, Collaboration for the creation of the SafetyCube Decision Support System.
- “SAFERWHEELS: Investigating the causes of crashes in Europe involving powered two wheeler vehicles and bicycles” (2017-2018). Activities: Power two wheeler database synthesis and coding for file linking, crash analysis and modelling.
- “ERSO+: Update of the European Road Safety Observatory” carried out for the Directorate General for Transport and Mobility of the European Commission (2018-ongoing). Activities: Developing a webtext critically outlining the current and future traffic safety challenges of Autonomous and Connected vehicles after thorough literature review.
- 10/2015 – ongoing: Freelance Civil Engineer
- 11/2014 – 08/2015: Military Service – Engineering Corps Administration, Zografou, Athens: Authorship of technical and techno-economic reports on various projects including road pavements, steel constructions, sewage and drainage systems, building reformations and others
- 04/2013 – 07/2013: Participation in NTUA research schemes, under Professor George Yannis: Traffic flow and accident data collection and assessment for road safety analyses. In cooperation with the Centre of Transport Management, Victoria, Athens
- 04/2012 – 06/2012: Technical training through the School of Civil Engineering of NTUA: Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority, Sector of Technical Services. Objective: Design of airport transportation infrastructure and facilities
- 05/2011 – 08/2011: Technical training through the I.A.E.S.T.E scheme: University of Sheffield, Catchment Science Centre. Project title: The impacts and solutions of urban road runoff on water and environmental quality
Computer Skills and Software Knowledge
- Experience in computer software and applications in Windows environments, experience in exploiting internet sources and various database forms for research and other scientific purposes
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Statistical analysis software and programming: R, R-studio, SPSS
- Transport modelling programs: SimTraffic7, Synchro7, Arena
- Drawing and designing in AutoCad
- Road and airport pavement design programs (ComFAA, PCASE209)
- Highway engineering in Anadelta Tessera
- Static analysis programs for simple structures (ΒΕΑΜ!2D, StaR) and earthworks (OASYS Frew, XDisp)
- Basic programming skills in Python, Fortran
- Petri Network simulation and modelling
- Greek: Native Language
- English: Proficient user – Certificate of Proficiency in English (Cambridge University). Sufficiency of Teaching English.
- German: Independent user – (Zentrale Mittelstufe, Goethe Institute & Mittelstufe Deutsch des Osterreichischen Sprachdiploms)
- Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece
- Member of the Greek Society of Civil Engineers
Honors and Awards
- 11/2007: Erifilio Prize (Konitsa province award) for excellence during the Panhellenic Examinations for University Admissions
- 2001-2007: Six honors for excellence during secondary education
- Chess/Strategy games
- Creative writing
Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering, NTUA
5, Iroon Polytechneiou str., GR-15773, Athens
Phone: +30 210.7721575 fax: +30 210.7721454