I am a Civil Engineer, PhD candidate and a Research Associate at the Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering at the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens. Since 2012, I hold a Civil Engineering Diploma from NTUA, majored in Transportation Engineering. Since my graduation, I have worked as a researcher in several projects both in NTUA (Greece) and Queensland University of Technology (QUT, Australia) and have also published several papers in scientific peer-reviewed journals and international conferences. My Ph.D. research is on “Big data exploitation to correlate driver’s behaviour with traffic risk”.
- PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) Candidate in Transportation, Planning and Engineering
- Title:”Big data exploitation to correlate driver’s behaviour with traffic risk”
- National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Athens, Greece
- Diploma of Civil Engineering, NTUA, Option of Transportation Engineer
- National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Athens, Greece, 2012
- National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Athens, Greece
Teaching Assistant / Thesis co-Supervision
- Teaching assistant at “Traffic Flow Theory”
- Teaching assistant at “Traffic Management and Road Safety”
- Teaching assistant at “Quantitative Methods of Transportation Engineering”
- Supervision of three (3) Diploma Theses
- Assisting in the preparation of three (3) Diploma Theses
- Road Safety
- Driver’s Behavior and Traffic Risk
- Transportation Statistics and Econometrics
- Time-Series Modeling
- Traffic Simulation and Forecasting
- Energy Efficient Vehicles
- Congestion Pricing
- Discrete Choice Analysis
At the present time (October 2016) thirteen (13) publications have been made (or have been accepted for publication).
Publications in scientific journals with referees
At the present time (October 2016) five (5) papers have been accepted for publication in scientific journals and one (1) paper has been submitted and is currently under review.
- 6. Theofilatos A., George Y., Tselentis I. D., Papadimitrou E., Quan Y. (2017). “Exploring Weather Effects on Powered-Two-Wheeler Safety on Urban Arterials in Athens” (Under Review).
- 5. Tselentis I. D., Yannis. G., Vlahogianni. E. I. (2017). “Innovative motor insurance schemes: A review of current practices and emerging challenges”. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 98, 139-148.
- 4. Papadimitriou E., Lassarre S., Yannis G., Tselentis I. D. (2016). “Road, Traffic, and Human Factors of Pedestrian Crossing Behavior: Integrated Choice and Latent Variable Models”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2586. (Accepted for Publication, In Press).
- 3. Tselentis I. D., Yannis G., Vlahogianni I. E. (2016). “Innovative insurance schemes: pay as/how you drive”. Transportation Research Procedia. (Accepted for Publication, In Press).
- 2. Vlahogianni E. I., Karlaftis M. G., Papageorgiou N., Tselentis I. D. (2014). “Factors Influencing Freeway Traffic Upstream of an Incident”. Advances in Transportation Studies, 2014 Special Issue, Vol. 1, 17-26.
- 1. Tselentis I. D., Vlahogianni. E. I., Karlaftis M. G. (2014). “Improving short-term traffic forecasts: to combine models or not to combine?”. IET Intelligent Transport Systems, 9(2), 193-201.
Publications in scientific conference proceedings (full papers with review)
At the present time (October 2016) three (3) papers have been published in scientific conference proceedings (after full paper review), and one (1) paper has been accepted for publication in scientific conference proceedings in the following months (after full paper review).
- 3. Theofilatos A., Tselentis. I. D., Yannis. G., Konstantinopoulos M. (2017) ”Willingness-to-Pay for Usage-Based Motor Insurance”, Proceedings of the 96th Annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C, January 8-12, 2017. (Accepted for publication).
- 2. Tselentis I. D., Yannis G., Vlahogianni E. I. (2016). “Innovative insurance schemes: pay as/how you drive”. In Proceedings of the 6th European Transport Research Arena Conference, Warsaw, April, 2016.
- 1. Papadimitriou E., Lassarre S., Yannis G., Tselentis I. D. (2016) “Road, Traffic, and Human Factors of Pedestrian Crossing Behavior: Integrated Choice and Latent Variable Models”, Proceedings of the 95th Annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C, January 10-14, 2016.
Conference presentations (Abstract with review and poster/presentation)
At the present time (October 2016) four (4) presentations (abstract with review and poster/presentation) have been made in scientific conferences.
- 4. Yannis G., Tselentis I.D., Konstantinopoulos E. (2016). “Willingness to pay for innovative vehicle insurance schemes”. Accepted for presentation in the 12th World Conference on Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion, Tampere, Finland, 18 – 21 September 2016.
- 3. Yannis G., Tselentis I. D., Papadimitriou E., Mavromatis S., “Star rating driver traffic and safety behavior through OBD and smartphone data collection”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Transport Systems, Technical University of Brest, Brest, Belarus, May 2016.
- 2. Yannis G., Tselentis I.D. 2015. “Bicycle Traffic Rules Survey”. Presented at 21st meeting of the international traffic safety data and analysis group (IRTAD), 12-14 October 2015, Ljubljana – Slovenia.
- 1. Yannis G., Tselentis I.D. 2015. “Star rating driver traffic and safety behaviour through OBD and smartphone data collection”. Presented at International Symposium on Road Safety Behaviour Measurements and Indicators, 23 April 2015, Brussels – Belgium.
- Tselentis Dimitrios, (2012), “Forecasting traffic speed in freeways using time-series models with time-space correlations”, Department of Transportation planning and Engineering, School of Civil Engineering, National Technical university of Athens, Supervisors: Karlaftis G. Matthew, Associate Professor, Vlahogianni I. Eleni. Lecturer, Athens.
Participation in six (6) research projects in the field of Transportation Planning and Engineering.
- 6. “ELDERSAFE – Risks and Countermeasures for Road Traffic of the Elderly in Europe” carried out for the Directorate General for Transport and Mobility of the European Commission.
- 5. “BESAFE: Belarusian road safety network” carried out for the European Commission
- 4. “PRACT: Predicting road accidents – a transferable methodology across Europe” carried out for the Conference of European Directiors of Roads (CEDR).
- 3. “Development of a smartphone application to support customized vehicle insurance schemes”, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) – OSEVEN Telematics.
- 2. “Energy efficient vehicle (EEV) Future Regional Market and Technology Uptake Study”, carried out by Queensland University of Technology (QUT) for Malaysian Automobile Institute (MAI) and AutoCRC Institute.
- 1. ‘’EERNV-Energy Efficiency of Road Networks and Vehicles: Measurement, Pricing, Regional and Environmental Effects’’, Πρόγραμμα ‘ΘΑΛΗΣ’, Υπουργείο Παιδείας, Δια Βίου Μάθησης και Θρησκευμάτων.
- Autocrc Research Scholarship, Australia (2014)
- Award “Euclid”, Hellenic Mathematical Society (HMS), 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006
- Award “Archimedes”, Hellenic Mathematical Society (HMS), 2003-2004
- Reviewer for PROMET – Traffic & Transportation – Scientific Journal on Traffic and Transportation Research
Knowledge of Simulation Packages (Macro-Meso-Micro-Simulation)
- Visual Basic
- “Discrete Choice Analysis Course”, The University of Sydney, 18 -22 August 2014
- Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece
- Greek (mother tongue)
- Classical Guitar
Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering, NTUA
5, Iroon Polytechneiou str., GR-15773, Athens
Phone: +30 210.7724715 fax: +30 210.7721454