I am a Civil Engineer, PhD Candidate and Research Associate at the Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering at the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens. I hold a Diploma in Civil Engineering, under the specialization in Transportation Engineering from NTUA (2010) and a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Transportation Systems from the Technical University of Munich (TUM, 2014). I have worked as a researcher at the Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering at NTUA and at the Chair of Traffic Engineering and Control at TUM, participating in research projects related to traffic management, traffic safety, incident analysis, parking management and driver assistance systems. I have presented and published several scientific papers in scientific journals and international conferences.
- Master of Science in Transportation Systems
- Chair of Traffic Engineering and Control, Technical University of Munich, Germany
- Grade: 9.20/10.00
- Master Thesis: Comparison of travel time measurements from stationary and link based detectors
- Diploma of Civil Engineering
- Specialization: Transportation Engineering
- National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Grade: 8.60/10.00
- Diploma Thesis: Identifying the microscopic features of traffic hysteresis in freeways
- Traffic Flow Modeling
- Traffic Flow
- Traffic Management
- Traffic Safety
- Parking Management
- Incident Analysis
- Analysis of travel time measurements
- Driver Assistance Systems
At the present time (January 2017) publication of nine (9) scientific papers (1 paper in scientific journals and 8 conference papers with full paper review) :
Publications in scientific journals with referees
- pj1. Vlahogianni E. I.; Karlaftis, M. G.; Orfanou, F. 2012, “Modeling the Effects of Weather and Traffic on the Risk of Secondary Incidents”, Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations, 16(3), 109-117.
Publications in scientific conference proceedings (full papers with review)
- pc8. Margreiter, M.; Orfanou, F.; Mayer P., “Determination of the parking place availability using manual data collection enriched by crowdsourced in-vehicle data”, World Conference on Transport Research, Shanghai, July 2016.
- pc7. Margreiter, M.; Mayer P.; Orfanou, F., “A Concept for Crowdsourcing of InVehicle Data to Improve Urban On-Street Parking”, mobil.TUM International Scientific Conference on Mobility and Transport “Technologies, Solutions and Perspectives for Intelligent Transport Systems, June 2015.
- pc6. Karlaftis, M. G.; Vlahogianni, E. I.; Orfanou, F.; Imprialou, M. I., “Weather Sensitive Algorithms for Incident Management on Freeways”, mobil.TUM International Scientific Conference on Mobility and Transport, Munich, Germany, June 2013.
- pc5. Imprialou, M. I.; Orfanou, F.; Vlahogianni, E. I.; Karlaftis, M. G., “Defining Spatiotemporal Influence Areas in Freeways for Secondary Accident Detection”, TRB 92nd Annual Meeting, Washington DC, USA, January 2013.
- pc4. Vlahogianni, E. I.; Karlaftis, M. G.; Orfanou, F., “Modeling the Effects of Weather and Traffic on the Risk of Secondary Incidents”, TRB 91st Annual Meeting, Washington DC, USA, January 2012.
- pc3. Orfanou, F.; Vlahogianni, E. I.; Karlaftis, M. G., “Associating Driving Behavior with Hysteretic Phenomena of Freeway Traffic Flow”, 13rd IFAC Symposium on Control in Transportation Systems, Sofia, Bulgaria, September 2012.
- pc2. Orfanou, F.; Vlahogianni, E. I.; Karlaftis, M. G., “Identifying Macroscopic Features of Traffic Hysteresis in Freeways”, TRB 91st Annual Meeting, Washington DC, USA, January 2012.
- pc1. Orfanou, F.; Vlahogianni, E. Ι.; Karlaftis, M. G., “Identifying Secondary accidents in Freeways”, 3rd International Conference on Road Safety and Simulation in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, September 2011.
- pb2. Orfanou, F. “Comparison of travel time measurements from stationary and link based detectors”, Master Thesis, Chair of Traffic Engineering and Control, Technical University of Munich, November 2013.
- pb1. Orfanou, F. “Identifying the microscopic features of traffic hysteresis in freeways”, Diploma Thesis, School of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, November 2010.
Participation in four (4) research projects in the field of Transportation Planning and Engineering.
- r4. Modeling of the spatiotemporal influence of the accidents on the traffic volume evolution in freeways (2011-2012, NTUA).
- r3. Analysis of the Van Aerde fundamental equation (2012, TUM).
- r2. Investigation of traffic flow conditions using the simulation software SUMO under different developed scenarios (2012, TUM).
- r1. 360 Grad Parken – improvement of the real time information on existing free parking spaces in urban areas through modern sensor technologies in vehicles (2014-2016, TUM).
- Bavarian Road Administration – Center for Traffic Management (Germany)
- Simulation of road networks through the simulation software VISSIM
- Development and analysis of different scenarios related to different traffic volumes and changes in the network infrastructure through the simulation software VISSIM
- DAAD Scholarship, 2012-2013
- “Papakuriakopoulos – Award”, 2007
- Technical Chamber of Greece
- Hellenic Institute of Transportation Engineers
- Greek Society of Civil Engineers
- Greek (mother tongue)
- MS Office
- Neural Networks
- Statistical Software (Limdep, SPSS)
- Simulation Software (VISSIM, VISSUM, SUMO)
- Programming Languages: Matlab
- QGIS, PostGIS, postgreSQL Databases
- Project Libre (Project Management)
Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering, NTUA
5, Iroon Polytechneiou str., GR-15773, Athens
Phone: +30 210.7721367