Virginia Petraki is a Civil Engineer, PhD Candidate and Research Associate in the Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering of the School of Civil Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA). In 2019, she graduated from the School of Civil Engineering at the NTUA majoring in Transportation Engineering. She has participated in 5 research projects and has published 3 scientific papers (2 in scientific journals and 1 in scientific conference proceedings after peer review).
- Traffic Engineering
- Engineering Project Management
- Sustainable Transpotation Planning and Management
- Road User Behaviour
- Road Safety
- Data Science
- Candidate for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), 2020 – ongoing, in the Department of Transportation, Planning and Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens. Topic: “Big Data and New Urban Sustainable Mobility Forms”
- Diploma of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering
- GPA: 7.9/10
- Thesis: “Combined impact of road and traffic characteristics on driver behavior using data from smartphones.”
- Supervising Assistant in 5 Diploma Theses in the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (2019 – ongoing)
Publications in scientific journals with peer review
- State-of-the-art review on multi-criteria decision-making in the transport sector, Yannis, G., Kopsacheili, A., Dragomanovits, A., Petraki, V., Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering (English edition), Vol. 7, Issue 4, Pages 413-431, 2020
- Combined impact of road and traffic characteristic on driver behavior using smartphone sensor data, Petraki, V., Ziakopoulos, A. and Yannis, G., Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 144, 2020, 105657
Publications in scientific conference proceedings (full papers with review)
- “Investigating the acceptance of an environmental transport charging policy. The case of Athens.” Korentzelou A., Petraki V., Papantoniou P., Yannis G., (2020). Proceedings of 7th International IEEE Conference on Models and Technologies for Intelligent Transportation Systems, 16-18 June 2021, Heraklion, Crete, Greece.
Presentations in scientific conferences and seminars
- “Pilot Assessment of Athens Great Walk”. Petraki V., Chaziris A., Papatzikou E., Yannis G., at the PIONEERing Solutions for the Smart City Challenge Online Student Workshop (15 April 2021).
- “International Experience in Environmental Pricing in Transportation”. Petraki V., Papantoniou P., Yannis G., at the International Multidisciplinary Traffic Safety Virtual Conference, organised by the Hellenic Association of Driving Instructors together with Key Transportation Organisations in Greece (29-30 May 2020).
- “The COVID-19 crisis as an opportunity for new mobility models: Athens Great Walk”. Yannis G., Vlahogianni E., Papatzikou E., Papantoniou P., Oikonomou M., Michelaraki E., Gonidi C., Petraki V., at the International Multidisciplinary Traffic Safety Virtual Conference, organized by the Hellenic Association of Driving Instructors together with Key Transportation Organisations in Greece (29-30 May 2020, Athens, Greece).
- “Sustainable Urban Mobility in Smart City”. Yannis G., Papantoniou P., Petraki V., at the Urban Growth Conference 2019 on “Urban Development and Cyclical Economy”, organised by Boussias Conferences (Athens, Greece, 11 December 2019).
- “Driver-vehicle-environment interactions and safety tolerance”. Petraki V., Yannis G., at the NTUA – Digitalisation and Road Safety Research Workshop, organised by NTUA within the framework of the Fifth UN Global Road Safety Week, (Athens, Greece, 17 May 2019).
Participation in five (5) research projects in the field of Transportation Planning and Engineering, assigned by the European Commission:
- “e-MOPOLI: Electro MObility as driver to support POLicy Instruments for sustainable mobility and traffic management” carried out for the Interred Europe Programme (2018-2022)
- “a-Traffic: Innovative traffic and parking policies in the center of Athens” a cooperation between the Municipality of Athens and National Technical University of Athens (2020-ongoing)
- “EcoCharge: Socio-economic impact of environmental transport charging policies” a cooperation between the Hellenic Associations of Motor Vehicle Importers Representatives and National Technical University of Athens (2020-2021)
- “NRSO – Support of the NTUA Road Safety Observatory operation” funded by NTUA resources (2016-ongoing)
- “InAm – Scientific support for actions to improve drivers’ safety behaviour in Greece” carried out for Interamerican (2017-ongoing)
- Internship at ”Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority” (2018)
- Greek: Native Language
- Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece
Distinctions and Awards
- Hellenic Foundation for Research and Innovation (H.F.R.I.) Doctorate Scholarship for the PhD dissertation titled “Big Data and New Urban Sustainable Mobility Forms.” (2021)
- “Chatsopoulos” Award for excellent performance in the course of Descriptive Geometry
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- R, R-studio
- Basic use of Geographic Information Systems (ArcGIS)
- Tableau Software
- Familiar with Python programming language
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Road and airport pavement design program: ComFAA
National Technical University of Athens,
School of Civil Engineering,
Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering
5, Iroon Polytechneiou str., GR-15773, Zografou, Athens
Phone: +30 210.7721380